Written by Jennifer Droese
The Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) is looking for a committed student assistant as soon as possible.
Student assistant (m/f/d): Digital Methods
The position is situated in the research program “The Evolving Digital Society” that investigates the concepts, discourses and materialities that shape our increasingly datafied social world. Specifically, the student assistant will work on the Platform Governance and Copyright project. Funded by the EU Horizon 2020 programme, the project investigates the technologies, policies, and practices that social media platforms have devised over time to create a profitable balance between freedom of expression and control over copyrights.
- Design and execute automated data collection, using the APIs of social media platforms
- Doing quantitative analysis of data extracted from social media platforms
- (Co)writing research reports and literature reviews
- Supporting the planning of events (e.g. workshops) and reporting
- Enrolled in a higher education institution, preferably in social sciences, data science or computer science
- Have experience in collecting and analysing data from social media platforms through digital methods, including languages and tools such as Python, R, Tablea.
- Fluent in English and, ideally, German
- Ideally, have experience in writing academic texts
- Enjoy working in an interdisciplinary research team and have the ability to communicate across disciplines
- Possess an independent and reliable workstyle, in addition to a curious mindset
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to hone your methodological and writing skills
- The experience of conducting a variety of research-related tasks
- A highly motivated team that works very closely together and committed colleagues from various disciplines in a forward-looking institute in the heart of Berlin
- The chance of making many new contacts within the HIIG network
- The remuneration is based on the Berlin collective agreement for student employees (12,50€/hour)
About your application:
Please submit your application with a short cover letter, CV, relevant certificates and, if available, information about related previous projects or work samples (portfolio, links) via our online form (in German or English). The review of applications will start on 26 October 2020, but the call for applications will remain open until a suitable applicant has been found. The careful screening and selection of our new team members is very important to us and we ask for your understanding as we will conduct several selection interviews during the process. If you have any questions about this position, please contact Dr. Christian Katzenbach ([email protected]).
We look forward to your application!
This article by Jennifer Droese, originally published on The Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) blog is licensed under Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported(CC BY-SA 3.0)