McCormick & Company, Inc., a world leader in the spice, flavor and seasonings industry, is seeking a full time Senior Data Scientist within the Global R&D Division. This position is located at our offices in Haddenham, UK. The Senior Data Scientist will report to the Global Creative Intelligence Director.
With more than $5 billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. We create differentiating flavors consumers prefer with unmatched quality, science, innovation and service. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick makes every moment and meal better™
This position reports to the Director of Global Creative Intelligence in Corporate R&D and has a dotted line reporting to VP R&D in EMEA and is in Haddenham. Supports the successful implementation of Computational Creativity and provides the business with actionable data insights that will help increase innovation, increase revenue and/or lower costs. Provides technical leadership and focus on generating insights for R&D. Individual should help shape and implement AI strategies and tactical programs for Corporate R&D globally with focus on EMEA implementation. Ability to travel (25%) is required.
- EMEA regional lead for Computational Creativity program. Acts as a liaison with NA team and IBM Research for successful implementation of AI platform including benchtop testing, data base optimization, regional flavor modifications for dry seasonings, condiments and flavors. Bring new insights to R&D, leads data mining and analytics, interpreting and reporting of large integrated data sets built with structured and unstructured data; develops tools to leverage new proprietary data sources from both external and internal.
- Utilizing machine learning to build predictive models for product development, sensory, and consumer insights.
- Continuously seeks out industry best practice and skills development to create new capabilities for data analytics at McCormick to drive R&D effectiveness with special focus on EMEA R&D including three product platforms of seasonings, condiments, and flavors.
- Implement metrics/scorecards to track the effectiveness, engagement and business impact.
- Acts as AI ambassador with R&D as well as business partners and related functions.
- Acts as change management point of contact to assure optimized AI adoption among EMEA PD teams across the region.
- Support Computational Creativity (CC) program specifically in the data creation and analysis related portions of the program.
- Interface with the CC It Architect to ensure effective creation and use of R&D formula data, Bench testing data and consumer data.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Data Analytics, Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, or another closely related field.
- Experience analyzing complex data sets and generating insights.
- Experience building statistical models.
- Experience successfully collaborating across functions and levels.
- Proven success multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Synthetic thinking skills with the ability to connect the dots between data sets and business relevant insights
- Ability to unlock complex issues
- Ability to influence up using insights from data analytics
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
As an Equal Opportunities employer, McCormick is committed to a diverse workforce.
Further information on McCormick’s partnership with IBM on utilizing AI for flavor development:
The Spoon @ the Smart Kitchen Summit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRljPlFlxRE